Winter is here, and with it comes the beauty of snowfall and the warmth of cosy fires. But it also brings challenges, especially when it comes to staying safe in the cold weather. Whether you’re heading out for a winter adventure or just facing a frosty morning commute, it’s essential to be prepared. In this article, we’ll explore how to stay safe in the cold weather, from dressing appropriately to handling icy roads.
Dressing for Success
When it’s cold outside, layers are your best friend. Start with a moisture-wicking base layer to keep sweat away from your skin. Add an insulating layer for warmth, and finish with a waterproof and windproof outer layer. Don’t forget a good hat, gloves, and a scarf to protect your extremities if you’re heading outside. If you’re walking to work or home again, it’s a good idea to activate SafeWalk. That way, if you slip on the ice or anything happens you can share your journey with a loved one and let them know you need help!
The Power of Wool
Wool is nature’s insulator. Invest in some wool clothing for your winter wardrobe. It retains warmth, wicks moisture, and keeps you cosy in the harshest cold.
Safety on the Go
Navigating icy roads can be treacherous. Equip your vehicle with winter tires for better traction and always keep an emergency kit with essentials like a blanket, flashlight, and non-perishable food. Alternatively, tap the SafeKab app and a local taxi will be with you in a jiffy. Our drivers are used to driving in the cold and with journey monitoring and SOS button installed in the app, you can be sure you’ll be looked after!
Slips and falls on icy sidewalks are common in winter. Walk like a penguin by taking small steps and keeping your centre of gravity over your front leg. Use salt or sand to create traction. Again, activate the FREE SafeWalk feature, and you won’t ever walk alone in the bad weather again!
Home Sweet Home
If you’re using a space heater, make sure it’s in good condition and keep flammable objects away. Check your home’s heating system for any issues to avoid carbon monoxide leaks.
Shoveling snow can be a strenuous task. Take it slow, bend at the knees, and don’t overexert yourself. Consider investing in a snowblower for convenience.
Snow Sports Safety
For those who love winter sports, ensure you wear appropriate safety gear, including helmets and padding. Follow the rules of the slopes and trails to prevent accidents.
Hiking in the Cold
If you’re a winter hiker, inform someone of your plans and take safety precautions like carrying a map, compass, and extra supplies. Hypothermia is a real threat in the wilderness.
Stay warm and stay safe!
Join the #SafetyFirst Revolution With SafeKab
Winter can be a magical time of year, but it also demands vigilance and preparation. By dressing appropriately, staying safe on the road, taking care of your home, and practicing safety during winter adventures, you can enjoy the season to the fullest while staying safe.
The SafeKab app includes fantastic safety features such as:
- The Power to Choose your driver, vehicle, and price you pay for your ride. Giving you full control and transparency over your journey.
- Unique Safety Code for you and your driver so you know you’re in the right vehicle.
- Journey Monitoring so you can see where you are, the road home and share this information with a loved one.
- A Panic Button is embedded in our app so if you feel vulnerable at any time, you can press the button and notify both SafeKab’s local cab office and a loved one.
- SafeKab Credit means that you don’t need to carry money or a card to get your ride home. Money can be deposited in your in-app wallet so there is always cash to get you home after a great night out.
- SafeWalk – a free GPS tracking feature that sends real-time details of your walk home or wherever you’re travelling to a loved one and provides an SOS button should you feel vulnerable on your journey.
Download the SafeKab app now to join the safety revolution