Valentine’s Day is a day of love and new beginnings. But, although you should take a chance on love, you shouldn’t take a chance with your dating safety! We’re all about reducing risk but maximising enjoyment, so we’ve put together a guide that offers a suite of essential dating safety tips, empowering you to navigate the dating landscape with confidence and peace of mind.
Understanding the Importance of Dating Safety
Dating should be an enjoyable and exciting journey, but it’s imperative to prioritise your safety above all. By adopting a proactive approach and being aware of potential risks, you can significantly mitigate dangers and focus on building meaningful connections.
Conducting Thorough Background Checks
Be Your Own Detective
Before diving into the details of your date, consider conducting a background check to gather insights about your potential partner. Utilise social media platforms, search engines, and specialised tools to verify their identity and assess their social presence.
Tools for Background Checks:
- Social Media Platforms: Review profiles on Facebook, Instagram, and other platforms. Pay attention to the age of their accounts and their friends or followers.
- Search Engines: Utilise search engines to find additional information or news related to your date.
- Dedicated Background Check Services: This might seem a bit aggressive, but if you; ‘re worried there are specialised services that can put your mind at ease
Trust Your Instincts for Dating Safety
Your intuition is a powerful tool. If something feels off or you’re feeling uneasy, trust your gut and take precautionary measures. It’s always better to err on the side of caution when your safety is at stake.
Sharing Your Plans with Trusted Individuals
Always inform a friend, family member, or housemate about your dating plans. Include details such as the date’s name, meeting location, and the scheduled time of your date. This simple step can provide an extra layer of safety, ensuring someone you trust is aware of your whereabouts. Our FREE SafeWalk feature is a great tool fro Dating Safety. activate the app when you’re on your way to the date and a loved one can see exactly where you are and should you feel threatened in any way. just press the SOS button and help will be on the way!
Choosing the Right Meeting Place
Opt for public and well-known locations for your dates, especially in the early stages of your relationship. Places like cafes, restaurants, or parks are ideal because they offer the safety of being around other people and often have security measures in place.
Ensuring Communication and Transportation Safety
Keep Your Phone Charged for Dating Safety
Ensure your phone is fully charged before leaving for your date. A portable charger can be a lifesaver in situations where you might not have access to a power source.
Arrange Safe Transportation
Plan your transportation for increased Dating Safety. Whether you’re using public transport, a taxi, or a rideshare service, confirm the schedules and have a backup plan in place.
Download the SafeKab app now and you’ll be ready to use all of these fantastic safety features:
- The Power to Choose your driver, vehicle, and price you pay for your ride. Giving you full control and transparency over your journey.
- Unique Safety Code for you and your driver so you know you’re in the right vehicle.
- Journey Monitoring. so you can see where you are, the road home and share this information with a loved one.
- A Panic Button is embedded in our app so if you feel vulnerable at any time, you can press the button and notify both SafeKab’s local cab office and a loved one.
- SafeKab Credit means that you don’t need to carry money or a card to get your ride home. Money can be deposited in your in-app wallet so there is always cash to get you home after a great night out.
- SafeWalk – a free GPS tracking feature that sends real-time details of your walk home or wherever you’re travelling to a loved one and provides an SOS button should you feel vulnerable on your journey
Embracing the Power to Leave
Remember, you are never obliged to stay on a date that makes you feel uncomfortable, threatened, or unsafe. If you sense any red flags or simply feel that the date isn’t going well, do not hesitate to leave the situation.
Using Technology for Safety
Set Up Location-Sharing Tools
Apps like Find My Friends, Google’s location-sharing feature or SafeWalk can provide a live feed of your location to trusted contacts. This adds an extra layer of security, allowing your friends or family to track your whereabouts during the date.
Code Word with Friends
Establish a code word or phrase with a friend or family member. This can be used to discreetly signal them during a phone call if you’re in an uncomfortable situation and need an excuse to leave or require immediate help. Or you can use the SOS button on the SafeWalk feature and your loved one will know you need help and increase your Dating Safety.